Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Reading

I finished reading Gwendolyn Zepeda's To the Last Man I Slept with and All the Jerks Just Like Him which turned out to be somewhat surreal: stories of ants smelling panties (it's true, but not easily admitted) and how living in a trailer park you still have a struggle for status. I know i enjoyed it for it's creativity and honesty, but I'm not sure what else I took from it. I don't do similar writing, as in short stories, so to use the same method in my poems might be difficult.
On another note, I enjoy reading novels and short stories more than poetry. Is that common? I hope it doesn't mean I am following the wrong path. lol
Continuing my reading, I have started on When I was Puerto Rican by Esmeralda Santiago. So far so good. Pretty much a description of life in Puerto Rico by the oldest daughter of a ever growing family. I'm waiting to see where it keeps going from my current spot. I also find myself reading a lot more female authors. Maybe they provide a different viewpoint i'm accustomed to by growing up in a single parent home? It's all just theory.

Life-wise, just waiting for two upcoming trips to Austin. Also hoping to find some teaching work for the next semester. I am okay right now money-wise, and the move isn't about money. I'm just trying to find something which gives me more time to volunteer and produce chapbooks. I can't work desk jobs anymore. Actually, I haven't really had a desk job. I think this is my first one, and turns out I don't like it. lol

Life is not at a stand still, but i expect more out of my 8-5 (9 hours) a day than sitting here. I love my job when i am able to advise students, but slow days are slow. bien despacito.

Which is where I am at now. and not having anything to do kills your spirit. Sitting here and waiting. terrible. I am working on a new poem while at work, pero no me da ganas a escribir.

---------------------------------------------

Sangre

de mi padre,
sangre que tal vez
es un poco de moreno
porque mi padre–
chino–
tiene ganchos
negros
que lastiman.

tengo sangre de machista
y infiel. la raza
de mi tío
asesinado por tener amante
olvidado por la ley
y sus hijos.

matrimonio
promesas
pelo corto
no pueden parar patillas
que se me enchinan

y los glóbulos de rojo,
blanco, y verde
es una mezcla
de corajudo,
silencio, y
deseo
peligroso.

No comments: