Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Found and Project

another one of my finds. this on as i was walking the university of texas-pan american grounds. it is quite elaborate and offers a lot of information. if i received this i would feel as if i did my job. in case you don't speak spanish, here is the translation:

"I want to thank the students from Pan American University for giving me something for Christmas.
God bless you"

I don't have much to say about this picture besides thinking how we can help others. how some kids feel comfortable speaking/writing in spanish. how the name is one i have never heard of before "jaaziel". seems like a combination.

oh, it's senseless talk right now. I only wanted to post this to show how kids can write a simple thank you note and it seems so amazing and strikes my curiosity.





The following could have been saved for another post, especially since i'm about 9 minutes away from heading out to teach but let's see how well i can explain this. I like doing mini projects, most of which i don't ever finish but is something of a preview of what i would like to do/see in the future. Most of these projects deal with code-switching or creating images which satire all that is american or all that is mexican. Mexican-American is good for satire as well. It is always good natured and not intended to create anger.

So, just recently i was thinking about language and how code-switching (for some) is natural. and then i started thinking were do we use code switching in public? yes, it is common when we talk but how common is it in writing? i doubt that it is common in writing but i have seen it in a few local advertisements (billboards) and maybe in an email. then this lead me to think of important works and how they can be translated into code switching. why? it seems when we not only speak the language but also read and write it, then it gains validity and also expands. I think and think random thoughts but the outcome is the sample creation of the Poch@ bible, with code-switching. I haven't figured out the rules, if any, for code switching but the concept seems to be that the reading should be natural. Anyways, read below:


No comments: