Friday, April 10, 2009

ACL

Like the concert festival, not the ligament. I bought my tickets a few days ago. It's going to take place Oct. 2-4. If you want to know the details, you can follow this site: http://www.aclfestival.com/


I'm excited, yes. About six months to get there, but I'm hoping I have a good time. It's going to be in Austin so I will even get to visit my soon to be Freshman brother at UTSA. I didn't even realize it until i was texting him today. That makes me even more excited, that I can stop by and say hello, see how things are, make sure he is studying. lol I see a lot of freshman students, and their first semester is overwhelming. I try to think of "good" reasons why, but usually its that they don't anticipate the level of work required to be successful at the University level. But I don't want to go into the subject of retention and first semesters.


I don't know the lineup yet for ACL, although there are rumors flying around. Just saw that the opening bands will be listed April 28th: excited. I was supposed to go last year, but money was tight. So I didn't do much all year as far as traveling...and I love traveling. It's not escaping. Escaping almost means not wanting to come back. I love to come back. I love to live here in the Rio Grande Valley. Traveling is about listening to people's stories, and catching a city change. New Orleans was like that, although still sad to see people struggling.


I used to write poems a lot while traveling because I was young and couldn't drive, so the option was going on bus or someone else driving. I don't get to write while traveling anymore, only at my destination. I do miss that. Would I go on the bus again? I have thought about it, but I dislike the lack of mobility. Maybe to try it again, but I have given up on trying to regain the experience of a first time. I didn't walk Bourbon street at night too much because the drinking and debauchery wasn't enticing.


I have never experienced ACL. I have experienced Austin, and unfortunately one of my characteristics is to be content with repetition and dwell in the known. This will be a change, and I will try to not visit the same places I always do in Austin. Essentially, I will attempt to give up control.

No comments: