Friday, August 22, 2008

En Busca de Santos

For some odd reason, I had the urge to search for movies of "El Santo", the famous Mexican Wrestler. There was some reason to it, but my search was fueled by an uncommon sort of need to connect to someone I don't know. Maybe it was in part to prove that there are many Santos movies in south Texas, that in Austin there are some things which cannot be bought.
The background to the story begins when I went to the "Half-Price" bookstore, and bought a book about old Mexican Posters. The cashier was nice and seemed interested, so he mentioned how he has been searching for Santos movies. That was enough to entice me on this small search.
I have to admit I was a bit disappointed at the results. I went through three blockbusters and found nothing, eventually I went to Hastings, which I knew I should have gone to first, and found one Santos movie.
Now, I expect to burn it and send it to this random guy I don't know. I don't need a thank you or anything, I just need to feel accomplished in some weird task that I set on my own.
I thought a lot about the movies that I saw though, looking through the Mexican movies...most of them were of chistes or narco movies. I hardly saw any serious film in there...not saying the rest wasn't fun, but few of the films could be considered extraordinary. And I remember thinking to when I saw the Santo movies. But I can't be sure if I saw entire movies or just clips. I'm sad because I don't know just how much I am influenced by my youth. Sometimes I wish to think that being eccentric is due to things I observed from my father or mother, but honestly, I don't know.
So that was my small quest. I found "Santos".

No comments: