Monday, August 18, 2008

Return Trip


After taking my lil brother and nephew on a college tour, I am extremely tired and maybe humbled and more confident. I know, it doesn't make sense, but give me a chance to explain. I think I have become too comfortable in south Texas that I don't realize "I" am not the majority. Turns out I can still feel uncomfortable in certain parts of Texas. I almost felt ashamed.
On another note, I have gained a bit more pride for the campuses in the RGV. I can't say that UTPA doesn't try to do well or doesn't have good staff. Unfortunately, each campus will have it's own problems, like inexperienced staff and bad architecture. However, after visiting three campuses, I still think UTB is up there in aesthetics. The border wall may not help in that sense, but as a amateur comedian from the RGV once said, "Why can't we put up art on the wall?"
Anyways, just some random thoughts, and for those who actually care, I spent lots of money at the Half-Price Bookstore (in my case this means $100.00, yes, I'm cheap). Most were "Chicano", but i did find some good film and art books. I can't wait to go back and buy more books. I guess that's it, no random poetry for today. I submitted some poems before I left on the trip and hope at least one gets accepted. If none get accepted, I will laugh.

No comments: