Friday, December 26, 2008

Pocho?



I haven't read reviews or criticism of this book, but after reading Pocho by Jose Antonio Villarreal I am confused by his intent for the novel. I see a battle between the "old culture" and the "Americanized" but each seems to be portrayed by its negative. The machismo of the Mexicano and ruthlessness of American. The most I saw of the pocho, that person caught between two of everything, is Richard's separation from both. Perhaps this is an early description of pocho, and maybe it has changed. The interest this book has generated is mostly to attempt and analyze the evolution of the word. But I felt the book was a coming of age story, halfway through the realization of pocho. So much was left out. The interaction of culture is ommited, only when mentioned in terms of "white", "Italian", and "Jap". Maybe it's just California, and a way of living I haven't seen.

No comments: