Thursday, June 18, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Another trip to San Antonio, which was productive. Visited Six Flags and I went on three rides although i am scared of heights, and that's about as much as my body could take. I realize people like the rides because of the adrenaline rush, but give me a different type of adrenaline. I would rather swim out on the beach, go through a haunted house, even a Hurricane! A lot of other things besides fast moving heights. The trip also included a visit to the children's museum, which was good, but not great. Also, San Antonio Missions baseball game which was fun, Half Price bookstore is always good to me, and lots and lots of eating out.
Perhaps the biggest event was receiving my comments from the pre-draft thesis. A lot of "potential" remarks which I hate because it feels to me like "not quite good". Good isn't always easy, I realize that. So I will have to put more work into it, and hope it gets better. Oh, also was rejected by Bordersenses, which means I have to go back and review what I submitted. Anyways, have to go do some work-work, will write more later.

but i just remembered something i wanted to think more about. Nearby the Motel 6 i stayed at, which was actually quite nice inside, older Mexicanos would stand along the street waiting to be picked up for jobs. When a work-looking truck passed by they would raise and waive their hands. It was surprising to see because the hotel was only yards away from Market Square which is a lush area of tourist. Separating both was I-10. It's surprising how cities have developed a new set of tracks, the highways sometimes sheltering those closest to the center. I didn't feel nervous as I passed by them, because they didn't emit a desire to harm, but i imagine many people feel threatened.

I didn't' see any of them get picked up, but as the day passed their numbers would get smaller. But each morning they were there again looking for work.

No comments: