Monday, June 8, 2009

Otra Vez en San Antonio

My second time in SA in the past two weeks, the previous to drop off Noe for FR Orientation at UTSA. He says it was boring, which I'll take as it went well and they gave him a lot of academic information.

This past weekend I went w/ fellow MFA poet R.G to visit the Alameda exhibit, Phantom Sightings: Art after the Chicano Movement.

Must say I enjoyed the exhibit, especially the photography of Carlee Fernandez. There was another artist, Ken Gonzalez-Day who displayed postcards of lynchings, which had been scanned and worked on to eliminate the bodies from the postcards. A bit eerie because I could sense a tension from viewing the postcard, but there wasn't a physical entity to represent that tension.

Here is a sample:



I was inspired by some of the artwork, although most of it I would term as experimental, or perhaps "not-traditional".

I'm trying to think of something that goes with this title I came up with while viewing.


Deconstructed Chicano


es partes de
deep south texas and the 6 month long hurricane season. Some cousins arrested for attempted murder or drug possession. a pregnant sister. a young pregnant sister. and my mother. my father. divorced and some of the embarrassment that came with it. abuelos y abuelas que lla no viven. Y que cuando vivian no los entendia. It's late night discussions ala mid-day tent revivals. It's your voice. Slipping down the cement canal, algae like oil. Yesterday I saw kids shooting at beer bottles, and I was unsure if I should scold them for breaking glass, or remember the way my brother and I shot at bottles we threw into the canal. It's a couple of memories that may be exaggerated for effect. Adding an extra drop of rain to the river, because we have to complete it somehow. a father-son relationship with my brother. a son i lost because he was never mine. complicated relationships. brown. sometimes lighter. non-traditional is equivalent to the odd sheep.


*something to work on.

1 comment:

Wordless Tenaza said...

I really like this line towards the end: "Adding an extra drop of rain to the river, because we have to complete it somehow." The rest of the poem doesn't match the intensity of this line. The "because" works there, too, which I usually don't think is the case in poems because I think the poet is trying to explain too much. But here the because is not functioning to explain so much as it is to describe. In the end you start explaining too much, though. Nice work.