Thursday, November 19, 2009

How to Stay Mexican

or pocho, or yes Mexicano Americano y todas esas palabras que usamos. I was taking a friend to the airport and we couldn't resist a picture of the señor riding in the truck bed getting some sleep. Classic. Anytime I meet someone from around the country I can't help asking about how it is on their side of the states. I wonder if we are different. If Mexicanos aqui son como los de alla. It's always a yes. This border is different because we have fajitas, and calles del taco. Aqui we aren't afraid to listen to our ranchera music en las fiestas y dar nuestros gritos. This is home to all of us. Estamos entre rancho y cuidad, no como El Paso or Los Angeles. Tal vez otros piensan que casi estamos muertos mientras hacemos lo que hacemos, y no nos importa! Como este señor, no le vale quien lo mire. Lo importante es el descanso.



Sometimes I think about moving, but I'm afraid I would miss it too much. I haven't even moved out of Alton. I have become so attached to it, I laugh at living in a subdivision, or "hidden valley" estates, donde los neighbors might say "They are cooking out again, I hate it when the smell takes over the house and just lingers." Me? I love that smell, hasta the way a mujer tiene olor de fajitas y mesquite.
I know I won't have to worry as much about my house being broken into, pendejos kicking my dog if it gets loose, pero por qué no me voy?

Por qué am I asking others about Mexicanos que seem far away? Reynosa no es Ciudad Juarez, ni es Tijuana. Entonces por qué espero que sean igualitos de este lado? I just want to hear it, that we are different here. I do not want to find otra valle. Quiero que esta sea la ultima.

No comments: