Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I Promise Not to Vent

today. I could, but I won't. Another semi-rejection from Rio Grande Review, which is somewhat disappointing. But then I thought about the poems I submitted and I'm wondering to myself why I haven't submitted some of my shorter, yet stronger (in my belief) poems. I'll give those a try since I haven't had much with recent poems.

Biggest (& Best) news of late is my plans to work w/ my friend Gabriel in another conference being held at UTPA, titled the Social Justice and Peace Conference 2011. They deserve to be linked:

Visit SJP 2011

Previously we participated in a conference titled Pocho y Chicano: Criado por la Misma Valle, but to focus more on pocho there will be changes to the title and likely the material. At this point i'm thinking of using the title De Pocho a Chicano, y Back. I like that title, but it sounds as if I have heard something similar. I'm almost certain. If you know, please let me know because I don't want to be made the fool. lol

Now comes to the part about trying to tie this idea with social justice and peace. I have some ideas, since they are open to literature/ideas on the border. Which is a favorite subject of mine as a lifelong border resident. But also as part of my pocho identity I have to deal with borders within the United States, as in the Falfurrias Border Patrol Checkpoint. At any point trying to go up to San Antonio, Austin, etc, the checkpoint must be passed through. And even though I have never been pulled over, it always makes me feel as if I'm not a full U.S citizen unless I can pass that checkpoint without any problems. I always fumble with the questions they ask, especially "Where are you coming from", which is funny in a sense because I'm coming from down south. lol Where else? But I am always cautious of my answers, since if I say "Alton", where I am really coming from, I don't know if they will recognize the town, which will then to lead more questions. Why I have this sense of paranoia, I'm not sure, but I do remember in my teen years how my brother was asked to pull to the side so they could check the vehicle. My brother, prieto, driving a rented vehicle, with his Mexican (pero blancita) wife and their two blancito kids. Now that I'm thinking about it, having to cross a border checkpoint so you can travel to larger cities can feel traumatic. For others (many), it's a part of life. They don't question it. I understand why it's there. I don't understand why they aren't everywhere. I don't know why it feels we are the only ones.

No comments: