Monday, February 28, 2011

Relief

is here. I feel so much better after finishing up the NACCS Conference. It was a good experience to speak at a more scholarly level than what I am used to. It wasn't without its mistakes, but like is always said, "a start". Speaking at NACCS with my Raving Press buddy also introduced us to many others, although we need business cards and I can't believe we didn't take any. We have been out of it (getting together and actually working on publishing a project) for so long we weren't in sync in that sense. However, we seem to think similarly or be able to bounce ideas of off each other so that worked well as usual. It also gave us something to do (conferences) and it freshened up our working relationship.
Now we are planning more conferences, like the Social Justice conference held at UT-Pan American on April 29th. We are likely to get some work in during a poetry festival down here in the RGV. And this weekend we are getting together to start submitting to publications. Sounds like fun. lol....fun for writers. I have started gathering information on some magazines/journals which are looking for submissions and I'm hoping to get published again. When I first started submitting it seemed like I couldn't get rejected. Now, I am struggling to be published. I think i'm starting to feel the rejections a bit more although I work full time and have volunteering on the side, so i'm not using it as a source of income or means of trying to build up my work. But i do want to get published.

Here is a picture of Gabriel and I during our first panel.


I think that is all i'm thinking about. Now i have to get back to teaching and other small tasks I have, running a volunteer session is one of them. I'm always nervous when going in front of a group, but most often when I feel I am not prepared. I'm not prepared right now.

1 comment:

Schooled Marm said...

Just informing you of the "Save Texas Schools" March & Rally in Austin, Tx. The march begins @ 11am and the rally at the capitol is @12pm. It is to address the major budget cuts to education that could negatively affect us all working (& studying) in education, since you often mention that you work @ PanAm just giving you a heads up!