Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A New Day

seems to be the attitude I will have to take each day. Will I go through the seven stages of (job) loss? I am about to turn the corner on anger, but I don't know what comes next.

I'm trying to keep busy and feed my creative side. At the moment I am helping a friend produce some chapbooks, meaning I'm making the copies and putting them together. Before that though I had created the layout and helped w/ revision. I love creating chapbooks. Seriously. Those sometimes cheap looking booklets have a lot of charisma in comparison to many books I have come across.

This is the cover:


The chapbook is called Vidas Cruzadas, translating to "crossed lives". It is a collection of poems created by women in a halfway house located in the Rio Grande Valley. Most of the women spoke Spanish and likewise, there is Spanish in the chapbook. Unfortunately I wasn't able to participate in the poetry workshops, but I was happy to help produce the chapbook.

I would have liked to create a chapbook for my upcoming panel in the National Association for Chicana and Chicano Studies(NACCS)Tejas Regional Conference, but I don't think I have the time. I have to teach on Wednesday, plan on Thursday, and the conference is Friday morning. In addition I am working full-time, so that means "no time".

must keep busy.
----------------------------

Reynosa II

In my grandfather’s house
mamá was in the kitchen
dad in abuelo's room.

They talked
como coyotes enojados
and all i could catch
from his berrinche was
"no, es que"

y estos días digo
después de odiarlo

no, es que

     los ricos no entienden

no, es que

     no nos dejan

no, es que

     nos mienten

no, es que

     siempre seremos pobres

no, es que

     ella está enojada

no, es que

     no es lo mismo

no, es que

     en los estados unidos es diferente

no, es que

     ya no es mi hijo

no, es que

     somos hechos de vicios

no, es que

     no se que decir

No comments: