Thursday, February 26, 2009

Awakening in San Antonio

Just returned from my trip to SA. It was fun, mostly walking the "arts" area. I don't know much about art but I was moved by a watermelon painting, which I will post up a bit later. The artist also produced "Generations", this great painting of a "cholo" and his private school dressed son, standing in front a wall painting of la virgen de guadalupe. I summed up the painting with "awesome". I wanted it. Unfortunately the cost was $1,170. But I was willing to pay that much for the inspiration it brought me, and the realization it gave me on the time and effort artist place into their work. Buying it would have been a bad fiscal decision. I will wait, but I know I will regret it even more if it is sold. It happens all the time with me. I wait, and wait, and wait and I miss out on the perfect camera, book, vacation, etc. The question is, should I look at it as an investment, and if I do, what am I investing in? Oh, by the way, the watermelon painting was by the same artist (I did not know this until I asked about the "Generations" painting).




*Unfortunately, after looking at some of her other works, they aren't up to par to my expectations. After viewing her second painting in the "generation' series, I don't feel right about buying the first in the series.

The store owner told me about prints they had, but I want the painting. I don't understand why it moved me so much, perhaps because of the inspiration it shows. The way it depicts a specific location in San Antonio, but I imagine it to be anywhere. Anyways, let's see what happens.
This store owner gave me some good conversation. He talked a bit about the poet Raul Salinas, his own experience with the Chicano movement, etc. He even told me about Rick Casas, an artist from Donna, Tx (RGV) who sold his work at the art store. This is probably the most at home I have felt in San Antonio, but I would have enjoyed this moment so much more if it happened in the RGV.


Is it that I am not looking hard enough here. Where is Rick Casas hidden in the valley? Where is everybody hiding?

No comments: