Friday, February 13, 2009

Kill, Kill, Kill



I couldn't resist and I went to see the remake of Friday the 13th (1980): midnight show with Noe and his girlfriend. What did I expect? Definitely some murder, perhaps dismemberment, and mandatory sex & drugs. Yet, it was the curiosity of how 29 years would change the character that drove me to see this movie on opening day. I always enjoyed watching the Friday the 13th movies because of the helpless "protagonist". I wouldn't say these people deserved to die, but usually Jason wasn't killing research scientist or poets. There was a certainty that Jason's awakening would result in multiple deaths. That made it worth watching.
With the 2009 version I received what I anticipated although the sex was a bit too much and at one point comical. The deaths were so-so...no new forms of death, they were the same ones as before. Death by machete, bow & arrow, strangulation, etc. Even some of the scenes were reminiscent of the originals, but I think that's mostly why I would give it a 6 out of 10. There was a sense of comfort in knowing what was coming. You can't beat nostalgia.
Otherwise, the acting was bad, plot predictable, entertainment value minimal. But do you really want Oscar winning performances, top-notch actors and special effects? Or do you want Jason to kill, kill, kill? I know what I want.

No comments: