Thursday, January 1, 2009

Spoiler "Beautiful Thing"

I was sitting at home about two hours ago and I couldn't make up my mind what to do. I didn't want to go to the movies, and didn't feel like spending an hour to rent one. I wasn't sure if I wanted an action, horror, drama, (almost never) comedy. After a couple of grapes, some water, and apple slices I remembered about my forgotten films. These are a couple of gay films I bought from the McAllen pulga about 3-4 months ago. I don't really know why I bought them in the first place. They were cheap, 15 movies for $15, and I thinking about it I hadn't really seen a gay film. I haven't and decline to view Brokeback Mountain (2005). I didn't want to see a big budget film, so I turned to Beautiful Thing (1996).


In short the film involves two London teenagers, one jock the other not, and their blossoming attraction. Meanwhile, they deal with a 'Mamma' Cass type neighbor, dysfunctional families and acceptance of their sexuality. I wont mention more plot, because point is, I liked the film. I get frustrated of watching sex as the basis of plot, and the characters here were treated honestly. I read a review by Roger Ebert, who mentioned characters portrayed unrealistically, and I somewhat agree. Again, its impossible for any love to run smoothly, so I'm accepting of blemishes. I don't expect a film to divulge all aspects of life, or at least it wasn't the intent of this film. After viewing, I'll probably keep this film...I mention so because the others in my collection may be more raunchy. I didn't want raunchy: give me emotion, interaction from more than two characters. Make me believe that love isn't a fairy tale.

In some ways the film was too short to explore each character. There was the storyline of Leah Russell (Tameka Empson) and her infatuation with 'Mamma' Cass Elliot(and the films heavy Elliot/The Mammas and Pappas soundtrack), also Sandra Gangel(Linda Henry)as a single mother to one of the teenage boys.

Last words: a film worth watching if you're interested in a different love story.

Director:Hettie MacDonald
Writers:Jonathan Harvey (written by)
Jonathan Harvey (play)

No comments: