Thursday, January 8, 2009

This is not real

For the past weeks, I have been searching for a good movie...something I could be proud of...and I saw a few Chicano movies, some decent and others not even worth it...and then feeling a bit ill yesterday I find one movie I have been avoiding, only because I did not want to be disappointed by it.
But I gave in to El Espinazo del diablo (2001)by Guillermo del Toro. I can't be poetic, but this movie kept me quiet and in captivity. I stopped thinking, even though some film critics say that should not be purpose of film. And I feel pride because he is a Mexican director, but also a bit of shame because Chicanos either don't have the same publicity or do not have that stature/vision. I don't care what the subject matter is...not every Chicano film has to be about the barrio, migrating, or culture themed. Eventually, a Chicano film will be just about life, and in the background the comfort of home will exist.
I see that in the films of del Toro...El Espinazo del diablo secondary role is a horror film, but primarily involves revenge, war, and being unwanted. I see the images of Christ, Catholicism, traditions, toys, foods, sentiment displayed in the film, quietly...sometimes being quiet has its purpose.

No comments: